Marvel App

Improving the live collaboration features on Marvel App.

Client: General Assembly
My Role: UX Designer & Researcher (team of 3)
Timeline: 2 Weeks

Background


Marvel is a rapid prototyping app which was seeking to improve collaboration for their web app. Our primary task was to improve on the effectiveness of working in team environments where at the time of this project, there was a severe lacking in essential collaborative features on their app, but were prevalent in the competitor field.

The Customer Problem


During our early research we identified that the current user base (designers, students, and stakeholders) find it complicated to collaborate on prototypes and that there was an opportunity to improve the effectiveness of working in team environments. In doing so we were able to narrow our focus in on the areas where majority of the collaboration would be taking place. As potential users ourselves who were unfamiliar with the app, we were additionally able to utilize that point of reference to our advantage during research and discovery planning to help guide our process.

Problem Statement

How might we introduce features to help users collaborate on projects more effectively?
Marvel in Action

Impact


We were able to improve on the existing disruptive workflow by streamlining the collaborative process, this significantly reduced task completion rate by over 50%. We also noted an overall positive user response while engaging with the app, this was attributed to a reduction in the gap of essential features compared to top competitors in the market and creating a greater familiarity.

Measuring Impact and KPIs


Our KPI centered around getting users to complete tasks as efficiently and effectively as possible. Specifically, we were concerned with improving on the initial time it took our users for carrying out tasks by at least 30% and ensuring that they were able to comprehend and interact with our solutions as intended. Lastly we wanted to generate a more positive overall satisfaction of user feedback that would contribute towards user retention.

Constraints


Due to the nature of the project and the brief given we encountered a few constraints.

Limited time: we had to work within a 2-week period and therefore had to be a lot more precise in each step of the UX process, not allowing room to explore further and introduce additional features.

Vague brief and context: the brief given to us used vague terminology and didn't provide specific parameters on what was meant by introducing "collaboration", this required us to narrow the scope and make important design decisions to guide our process.

Limited resources: given the nature of the project, we understood that we would not be able to replicate or actualize the full scale of the project in its entirety.

Key Principles When Designing


We focused on 3 guiding principles as a point of reference throughout the project.

Efficiency - All features added need to contribute towards task efficiency.

Effective - Reduce redundancy and confusion in any added features.

Empathy - Understand the problem from the perspective of key stakeholders by identifying user personas.

Research and Insights


Our research methodology included a combination of quantitative and qualitative strategies. We identified that a large number of designers currently walkthrough prototypes in-person. This was quite disruptive to the overall design workflow and significantly hindered efficiency. Additionally, with the lack of real live collaboration compared to competitors, there was a great potential of losing users.

Customer Needs

Wireframes

Options Explored

Iterating on Chat

Prototype

Learnings and Roadmap


Pertaining to the learnings throughout the project, we learned how to effectively narrow broad and vague scopes and utilize our expertise by making critical design decisions when there is limited information to lean on in order to guide the process towards an appropriate solution.

Without some of the constraints, we would have loved to introduce audio annotations in the form of quick voice notes for more added descriptive feedback, as well as utilizing their existing branding colors within the design system to present a darkmode version of the app.

< Return to Case Studies